Runner’s Worlds’ Robert Reese posted a curious article about how the states stack up again each other when it comes to running titled “How Does Your State Stack Up?”. Being the competitive Type A personality that I am, I of course clicked on it to see how California compares to the rest of the country:
Miles Per Capita: 5 out of 50
Runs Per Person: 7 out of 50
Miles Per Run: 17 out of 50
Pace Per Mile: 39 out of 50
Overall Score: 8 out of 50
Now a few things to note:
- The data was taken from RunKeeper, which only logs mileage when you run with an iPhone.
- The data does not account for treadmill miles.
- Take this with a grain of salt as this doesn’t account for the vast majority of runners, especially more serious runners who leave the iPhone at home.
- RunKeeper has 30 million users.
- I don’t know of anyone who uses RunKeeper, nor had I heard of it until this study.
- This is highly unscientific and meant more for entertainment purposes.
- Mississippi ranks dead last overall. Not too surprised.
Despite the limitations, it is still an interesting data set to consider and see how your state compares.
Always in Stride,